Carbonaut Roadmap Overview
The Carbonaut Road Map is a living document that outlines the major features and improvements that we are working on. It is a work in progress and will be updated as we make progress. The Carbonaut GitHub Roadmap Project board (opens in a new tab) is the best place to see the current status of the project.
in-progress, expected release date: late Q2 2023
The first version focuses on the core features of the Carbonaut platform. It is a minimal viable product that will allow us to start collecting feedback from the community.
We integrate first with Kubernetes (opens in a new tab) and available tools (Scaphandre (opens in a new tab), Kepler (opens in a new tab)) since these technologies are also open source software which eases the integration and alignment. Building a first version of the Carbonaut data scheme and the metrics server.
- Single Deployment Plugin Mechanism - enable loading and starting of plugins as a subprocess of the main Carbonaut connector process.
- Metrics Server - Exposing metrics in open telemtry format ready to be consumed by prometheus. Following this guide (opens in a new tab).
- Carbonaut Data Schema - Energy Metrics - The carbonaut data schema includes energy metrics.
- Carbonaut Data Schema - IT Resource Metrics - The carbonaut data Schema includes metrics about the it resources configured.
- Scaphandre Plugin - Plugin for the Scaphandre Project (opens in a new tab).
- Documentation Website + Concepts - Documentation of the Carbonaut project with a clear vision, mission and architecture plan discussing core concepts and the way forward for the project.
The second version builds more core functionality into the Carbonaut connector, in particular the data mixer, and adds the ability for capturing carbon emission metrics. It will also include a new plugin for collecting energy data and calculating emissions based on your energy consumption (plugin tbd).
- Data Mixer - Merge different metrics from plugins into a single stream to create higher quality metrics.
- Extend carbonaut data scheme to include emission metrics - exposing emission metrics in open telemtry format.
- Entsoe-e (opens in a new tab) energy metrics plugin
- Emission Metrics Plugin - tbd
- Kepler Plugin - Plugin for the Kepler Project (opens in a new tab).
- Kubernetes Deployment Guide (single deployment) - Set by step deployment of Carbonaut to Kubernetes.
- gRPC Multiplexing - Multiplexing of gRPC connections to improve connection to multiple plugins.
in-conception, expected release date: early Q3 2023
The third version will focus on the user experience, maturity of the core concepts, and the integration with other tools.
- Multi Deployment Setup - carbonaut can be deployed in a multi instance setup with independent processes.
- Kubernetes Deployment Guide (multi deployment) - Set by step deployment of Carbonaut to Kubernetes.
- gRPC mTLS - gRPC connections between Carbonaut and the Plugins are secured with mTLS.
- Authenticate gRPC - gRPC connections between Carbonaut and the Plugins are authenticated (see gRPC doc (opens in a new tab)).
in-conception, expected release date: early Q4 2023
The fourth version will focus on integration with other cloud providers, especially GCP (possibly others too tbd).
- GCP Plugin - Plugin for the GCP cloud provider.
- External Secrets - Secrets are managed by external tools (e.g. K8s, cloud providers).